WHS training is an important part in the overall WHS management system. Training in WHS should be conducted during induction of all new workers and as part of any refresher training conducted on plant.
There are a number of qualifications that relate to Workplace Health and Safety. These include:
- Certificate III in Occupational Health and Safety
- Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety
- Advanced Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety
To find out more information on undertaking these qualifications, log onto the training.gov.au website.
It is mandatory to attend approved Health and Safety Representative (HSR) training. The WHS regulator in your State will be able to advise you on these courses. Alternatively you can find a WorkCover approved HSR training provider by following the links on their website.
Further WorkCover approved training courses can be accessed through the following sites:
MINTRAC has training and assessment materials for all units in the MTM11 Australian Meat Industry Training Package. This includes the following units that cover WHS:
- MTMCOR204A Follow safe work policies and procedures
- MTMCOR201A Maintain personal equipment
- MTMCOR403A Participate in OH&S risk control process
- MTMPS5609C Manage, maintain and continuously improve OHS plans and systems
MINTRAC also has a number of self paced resources that contain aspects of WHS. All products and professional development training can be accessed through the website www.mintrac.com.au.